Monday, November 23, 2009

Top 10 Covers

I decided to make a list of my favorite top 10 covers of songs by bands or solo musicians.

I really enjoyed my last list, so here is another one.
Note: Yes, some of these are on the Punk Goes _____ c.d.'s but you'll get over it.
Also: Wait for the links to load. Not everything is lightning fast.

10. Shame On A Nigga (Wu-Tang Clan Cover) by System Of A Down


In my opinion, I think rock (generic term) bands that cover rap (generic term) songs are just plain cool.
System Of A Down covering Wu-Tang Clan has to have a spot on this list do to their genre differences.
Note: I am not racist, just the name of a song. Lets be mature here.



9. Beat It (Michael Jackson Cover) by Pierce The Veil/Fall Out Boy

Right here we have a tie. Both covers are good. So I'll post both.
Now, Vic Fuentes is no Michael Jackson, but he does use some of the same vocal techniques that MJ did.
In Fall Out Boy's version, they got the great John Mayer to do the guitar solo, which is cool enough by itself.
(Notice I put a picture of the old fall out boy. That is when they were actually good.)
R.I.P. Michael Jackson.



8. The Trooper (Iron Maiden Cover) by Coheed and Cambria

The original version of this song was the best thing about Guitar Hero 2.
Now, Coheed and Cambria has added their touch, adding Claudio's high vocals and great guitar work.



7. Ever Fallen In Love (Buzzcocks Cover) by Thursday

This song debuted in the game Tony Hawks American Wasteland, which is where I heard it.
This song is actually very similar to the original version, which is great as well.



6. Got Your Money (Ol' Dirty Bastard) by Say Anything

This song was one of the best things about the Punk Goes Crunk c.d. hands down.
Max Bemis, you can do rap covers any day. Please do more.



5. Flagpole Sitta (Harvey Danger Cover) by Chiodos

Now, this was before Chiodos decided to be dumb and kick out Craig Owens.
Regardless of their decisions, this version still stays the same, same being amazing.
Also, I love the breakdown. Owens' voice is stunning.
This song was the best thing about Punk Goes Pop II.



4. Thriller (Michael Jackson Cover) by Ben Gibbard

Ben Gibbard. Enough really said with his vocals from Death Cab.
His solo acoustic version of Thriller is amazing.
R.I.P. Michael Jackson (Again)



3. The Past Should Stay Dead (Emarosa Cover) by Ethan Gibson

I assure you, I was not biased simply because it is a Jonny Craig song.
It is just a great cover hands down.



2. Let Go (Frou Frou Cover) by A Static Lullaby

Now a close second to this was their cover of Toxic by Britbrit (Britney Spears).
This one I chose becaue I am a big Frou Frou fan.
Now, Boys Like Girls also did a cover of this song, but it's not as good. (Link)



1. Drive (The Cars Cover) by Deftones

This cover is by far the best cover I have heard in a long time.
It will leave you speechless.



Well, there you have it. My second Top 10 list.
If you have any suggestions on how to fix/improve my list please don't hesitate to tell me.

Other good covers:
The Scientists (Coldplay Cover) by Romance On A Rocketship
Lollipop (Lil Wayne Cover) by Framing Hanley
I Want To Break Free (Queen Cover) by The Cab

0 comments: